With summer all but a distant memory, it’s time to dig out our big cosy jumpers and brave the weather.
But it’s not all bad, one of the best things about winter is the hearty warming meals that we turn to. And Chilli con carne is one of the simplest, tastiest and most versatile of all winter recipes.
It really is hard to beat a steaming bowl of spicy, smoky chilli con carne!
Tesco’s simple recipe is beautifully spiced with cumin and paprika and simmered slowly to allow all of the rich, Mexican flavours to infuse.
Check out the delicious recipe below:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 mixed peppers, diced
500g (1lb) beef mince
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin kidney beans, drained
1 beef stock cube
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
– In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onion and peppers on a low heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
– Add the beef mince, break up and brown for 5 minutes.
– Add the chilli powder, cumin, paprika, tomato puree plus salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
– Cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
– Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, stock cube and Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
– Fill the tomato tin with water and add to the pan, mix well and bring to the boil.
– Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour, adding a little extra water if the mixture gets too dry.
– Once the chilli is cooked, serve with rice, soured cream and grated cheese.
Be sure to visit Tesco here at Broadstairs Retail Park for all your festive food and winter warmers!